Monday, November 13, 2006

A belated review of the Office, and of my failures in love (updated)

Warning! This post contains unfunny and borderline downer insights into my former non-existent love life, B.B. (before Ben). While "The Office" is definitely a funny show, this post is not. So do not be fooled by its tangential connection to "The Office!"

Having come to "The Office" very late, I had a lot of catching up to do-- with their non-stop coverage of all things "Office," Entertainment Weekly had already more than informed me that Jim and Pam would be kissing by the end of season two. But what I was not prepared for was the way in which it all went down.

Jim? Going up to Pam? And finally just saying his feelings out loud? And then later they kiss? This whole thing made me want to cry. Because I have done this exact thing before-- the "saying your feelings out loud" thing-- and it did not end with kissing. No, it did not.

Because on the three occasions that I actually worked up the nerve to try this, I got these three responses:

1. Slight revulsion, as if being propositioned by a homeless woman smeared with feces and BBQ sauce
2. Utter confusion, as if it could not be possible that I were even female, let alone someone you might make out with
3. Complete refusal to acknowledge the entire situation.

So to see it work for Jim-- and yes, I know they don't end up together, at least not yet, so it didn't really work-- really kind of blew my mind a little. I had kind of just assumed that, because I had failed at it three different times, it probably wasn't actually possible, but really only the kind of thing that your friends tell you you should really do when you're all drunk. But now that I see that it is possible (at least for fictional office drones) kind of bums me out.

Which, I know, is super stupid, because I have Ben, who is ten thousand times a better man than the three aforementioned guys. And with Ben, I didn't have to spend any time sitting in my room feverishly journaling out all the reasons that He Seems Like He Likes Me-- it was just, he likes me. There was no need to sit down and Have a Talk about it. It took me forever to figure out that if someone actually liked me, it would be a little more obvious.

Still, though, I felt a little twinge watching Jim and Pam. Maybe I was jealous that it worked, or maybe I was just embarrassed for Jim, and mad at Pam, or maybe I was mad at Utter Confusion guy. Or, I just remember how humiliating it was-- telling someone your feelings, and having those feelings rebuffed. It was like being broken up with, only without any of the benefits of ever actually having gone out. And I think that no matter how in love with Ben I am and will always be, and how I'll probably never have to go through that situation again, that whole concept will always sort of bother me.

The whole point is, sharing your feelings tends to lead less to kissing, and more to crying on the floor in your bedroom, singing "All By Myself" very loudly at three in the morning. One can only hope that this is not what Jim ended up doing.

4 pipers piping:

Megs said...

Weirdly, someone else I read has blogged on this same topic today: http://crushingkrisis.com/?p=2859

Perhaps it is unrequited-love-oh-god-why-did-I-say-that day?

Matt said...

I don't watch Office, but I can't escape all the promos for the show during my favorite NBC show Heroes (yes, it is actually good, and this coming from someone who doesn't even like graphic novels). Anyway, the point of this is to say that the promos make me laugh because they keep talking about Jim and Pam, and it makes me think of my brother, Jim, who just a couple months ago, married Pam, my new sister-in-law.

Frisby said...

Hmm... I'm a Jim, and I totally sympathize with that dude. Part of the reason I watched two seasons in one weekend is because I knew exactly what that guy was going through, and it was like reliving a train wreck, or something. I know from hard experience he's being a dumbass, but no matter how much I direct psychic waves at the TV, he keeps heading down the same path.

I want to say thank you for this post. I kind of suspect that whole "Does (s)he or doesn't (s)he like me?" thing is a fraudulent plot-line foisted upon us by TV execs. I've never known it to work in real life, and I'm rather jaded by my attempt to play it out.

I only did it once, but I got a response that seemed to mix elements from all three of yours. Mostly, though, it was like number two. (Ew! Number two!)

ashley said...

I love this post.

That is all.