Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Anatomy of a Fall


I slipped and fell on the ice again this morning, marking the second such incident of the year thus far. Thankfully, the only person around to see it this time was Ben, who was much more sympathetic than The Asshole That Was Shoveling His Driveway and Did Nothing to Help when I fell last month.

As a person who slips and falls on ice more often than is strictly necessary, I have discovered that the incident is pretty much the same each go-round. It begins with The Shouting of an Expletive-- generally the F-Bomb-- at super-slow-motion speeds, sort of like when Ralphie spills the bolts in A Christmas Story. It then transitions into A Prolonged Period of Falling, which again, in slow motion, takes far longer than one would think. Then comes The Impact, followed quickly by A Short Period of Silence When the Realization That One Has Fallen and Is On The Ground, Cold and Wet, which is followed even more quickly by The Sobbing.

The Sobbing generally goes on far longer than needed-- this morning it accompanied me all the way to work, until I finally got bored with it and turned on Howard Stern.

The good news, though, is that all day, you are given permission to Act Sorer Than You Are and Relive the Fall, and everyone treats you nice and gives you things that they wouldn't normally give you, like their leftover Valentine's Day candy and their last Mike and Ike (which I guess would be either a Mike or an Ike).

Still, though, it is not a prospect I generally look forward to, which is why I received my crampons for Christmas (because nothing says "festive!" like crampons). It is important to note, however, that you cannot wear crampons all day, because they cause you to slip and fall if you're not wearing them outside, and it is equally important to note that my two falls have come on days when I felt the crampons unnecessary, thus rendering them pretty much useless at preventing slip-and-fall misery.

3 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

It could be worse. I was wearing my new shoes, purchased specifically to aid my walking through the snow and ice on my way to work, when, as I descended the stairs into the newsroom, I proceeded to slip and fall down the stairs. Of course, it was all in slow motion, and the expletive flew from my mouth and across the newsroom, causing everyone who was already in to stand up at their desks and see who the moron was that just fell down the steps.

I wasn't hurt, but thought, too late, that I should have acted hurt so I could go home.

-- Matt

penelope said...

At least it didn't happen outside EEDS?

:)

P.S. I just had to google "crampon." I'm so out of touch. Or else I'm just so in the South, where we're not so much in need of spiky foot fashion.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what a crampon was either... I was thinking a crayon and a tampon? A crampy tampon? A tampon that relieves cramps?

Much to my relief it has nothing to do with tampons or cramps or crayons.