Sunday, March 09, 2008

After the blizzard


I have always loved extreme weather, no matter what the sort-- heat waves, hurricanes, endless rainstorms and face-melting wind. But for my money, nothing beats a good blizzard: the most peaceful destructive force there is. Blizzards like the one we had yesterday actually sometimes make me feel bad for people who live where there isn't any snow, because they never get to see the color of the sky as it's thick with snow, how bright it all is, even with no sun, and they don't get to see the way it shifts like sand, pooling, drifting, alive and on the move.



I was actually disappointed when I came outside at eleven o'clock last night and it had stopped-- only 37 hours? That's not nearly long enough for a blizzard in my opinion. Of course, my opinions may have been tainted because it was a Saturday, and I didn't have to go anywhere. Or rather I had to, but I couldn't. Another good thing about a blizzard-- it gives you an excuse to stay home and get your life back in order.


6 pipers piping:

mendacious said...

SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the pics. out here in southernCALI i feel the pain acutely of being able to open the door into snow. sure there's the mtn's but i certainly never get a snow day. not ever, not even after all the praying....

Anonymous said...

I should have taken pictures! I was thinking that if yesterday had been a weekday, I just might have gotten a snowday. Too bad. Time to snow blow the driveway, again. It was fun while it lasted, but the clean-up's a bitch. And I heard we're looking at 40's and 50's by mid week, so it's all just going to turn into a slushy-wet mess. Would've been better in December.

penelope said...

RAD. Awesome post and pics. I'm soooo jealous!

steph said...

awesome! it makes me miss the snow...kind-of.

if you can ever experience a hurricane, that is one awesome force. i love weather, too!!

jenn said...

And here I was all excited about the 8 inches we got in St. Louis last week. Yours looks way better. I would be super psyched if I were there!

ashley said...

That is some lovely fluff-a-licious snow. I'm glad I didn't have to shovel it though...my back can't take it. ;)