Friday, August 10, 2007

Two Random Mix CDs, and what they say about my life at the time of their creation (roughly)

Random CD 1:

1. Come On Over-- Christina Aguilera
2. Wonderful-- Everclear
3. Simple Kind of Life-- No Doubt
4. Music-- Madonna
5. Why Does It Always Rain On Me?-- Travis
6. Absolutely (Story of a Girl)-- 9 Days
7. Don't Change Your Plans-- Ben Folds Five
8. Anyway-- Dynamite Hack
9. Faith-- Limp Biskit
10. You're a God-- Vertical Horizon
11. Boys in the Hood-- Dynamite Hack
12. Hero-- Foo Fighters
13. Thong Song-- Sisqo
14. Everything You Want-- Vertical Horizon
15. Sour Girl-- Stone Temple Pilots
16. Say My Name-- Destiny's Child
17. Superman (Kryptonite)-- 3 Doors Down
18. These Are Not My Pants-- Five Iron Frenzy

What it says:

1. I must have been in college at the time, because had I known I had a CD like this among my possessions while I was in graduate school, I probably would have destroyed it so that no one would find out that I had a CD with "Thong Song" on it.

2. I had not yet developed (and subsequently gotten over) my short-lived but intense hatred of Christina Aguilera.

3. I likely listened to the radio a lot more, as this is mostly top ten hits (with the possible exception of "These Are Not My Pants").

4. I apparently liked a band called Dynamite Hack, and even owned their CD-- I just went through my collection and found it as proof.

Random CD 2:

1. No Such Thing-- John Mayer
2. Ohio-- CSN & Y
3. Lose Yourself-- Eminem
4. Yesterday-- The Beatles
5. Push-- Matchbox 20
6. Cool Blue Reason-- Cake
7. How You Remind Me-- Nickelback
8. Somebody To Love-- Queen
9. Margaret-- Jill Sobule
10. Trunk Fulla Amps-- Self
11. Song Sung Blue (Live)-- Neil Diamond
12. Blame It On You-- Gin Blossoms
13. Who Will Save Your Soul?-- Jewel
14. Go Tell It On the Mountain-- Harry Simeone Chorale
15. Misery-- Green Day
16. Piece of My Heart-- Janis Joplin
17. Forever In Blue Jeans-- Neil Diamond
18. As Is-- Ani DiFranco
19. 45-- Elvis Costello
20. These Apples-- Barenaked Ladies
21. Leave the Biker-- Fountains of Wayne

What it says:

1. I must have been super depressed when I made this CD, because the only time I ever put "Song Sung Blue (Live)" on a CD was when I was super depressed. Same with "Go Tell It On the Mountain," unless it was a Christmas CD.

2. I must have been in graduate school at this point, because with the exception of Neil Diamond and the Gin Blossoms and Nickelback, this is a somewhat more socially acceptable group.

3. I liked Fountains of Wayne WAY before "Stacy's Mom" came out.

As a side note, on a second listen, I have determined that this is the CD that Ash, Pen and I were listening to when we got stopped by the military convoy on the way to my birthday party, and I got the ominous feeling that something bad was going to happen, and then it did. Creepy.

4 pipers piping:

penelope said...

Ah, those were the days...

ashley said...

That second one is definitely from grad school. I can remember you telling me stories about all the songs and why you put them on there. Particularly that Jill Sobule song. I'd forgotten about the convoy - that really stressed you out.

Anonymous said...

Wow... the fact that you ever included the "Thong Song" on a mix cd shakes the very foundation of what I Know To Be Kim Shable. But I find it quite amusing.

mendacious said...

yes- dynamite hack- their rendition of EZ-e priceless!! 'and i slapped a'ho'... they play that on KROQ allll the time.

nice.