Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Today: two massive thunderstorms, with actual lightning, not that crap lightning that just lights up the clouds. Two near-power-outages, a great deal of really loud, teeth-chattering thunder, and a car abandoned on a flooded street (not mine). Oh, the glory of it all!

I love, love, love thunderstorms, to the point that it's probably unhealthy. As in, I wish it would thunderstorm every day. I wish for thunderblizzards in the winter (does such a thing even exist? If so, I must be a part of it). I like to hang out in the Rainforest at the zoo, just for the simulated thunderstorm. I even like it at the grocery store when they have the fake thunderstorm over the produce.

I do wonder where my love of thunderstorms comes from-- somehow it seems romantic, or exciting, like I might suddenly be kidnapped by a handsome and well-meaning stranger who takes me to his castle and makes me his love kitten. (This would only happen during a thunderstorm, as it would be highly anticlimactic to be kidnapped by a lovestarved castle-dweller on a hot, sunny day.) Or maybe it's just a break from the ordinary-- sunny or rainy, windy or humid, or whatever, you must admit that a storm really breaks up the monotony.

And I especially love power outages, although they seem to happen less and less frequently. In fact, I couldn't really tell you when the last storm-related power outage I experienced was, although Ashley can tell you how pissed I was when the power didn't go out during Hurricane Isabel, the Lamest Hurricane Ever (I nearly had to fistfight an old woman for the last flashlight in Walmart, and did I even get to use it? No.).

On a side note, I must admit distaste for fully grown adults who act like they're afraid of storms. If my cat can sit through a thunderclap without flinching, so can you. There. I said it.

5 pipers piping:

Frisby said...

I enjoy the pre-thunderstorm event: temperature drop, high winds, distant thunder promising big things to come, darkness in the middle of the day, and so on.

I'm not really a fan of power outages, though.

Anonymous said...

I love thunderstorms, but the current weather is irritating- Thunderstorms are supposed to cool things off! It's not supposed to be hot AND thundery.

ashley said...

Yes, Kim did become irrationally angry that Isabel was so lame. (Sorry, dude, but my apartment was on the same grid as the EMS - I didn't even lose power during a category 3.) Remember how disappointed we were, too, that hurricanes don't have lightening? They're just wind and rain and wind and rain. Oh, and your cat is tough. Remember how she beat up Kudzu during Isabel? He was terrified of her.

mendacious said...

i also love storms. this is my one lament about living in cali. totally storm free in LA. it's tragic. I have my fingers crossed daily for the el nino cycle to return. rain, rain, rain!

Anonymous said...

I will admit, I'm not a fan of storms. I hate lightning and thunder... but a lot of that has to do with this one time where lightning hit my childhood home and made all the light switches and outlets spark and smoke, and started our roof on fire...and I can't shake that memory, I guess. It's not like I cower in fear when a storm is nearby, but I certainly don't go walking around during a fierce thunderstorm either. Loud thunder does startle me, so I guess I'm that lame and am not as tough as your cat.