Monday, July 16, 2007

Two ways to end a pity party


I was having one of those shitty days, which I have about once a month or so (or, for about a six-month period while I was in graduate school), during which I feel that no one likes me at all, and that my disappearance would have about as much effect on the world as the cancellation of "Family Matters" (which, I'm sure, at least a couple of you assumed was still on).

I don't really know what prompts these days, but I do know that a friend once told me (during my six-month bout with extreme self-perceived unpopularity) "If we were to organize a weekly 'We Love Kim Shable' party, you would wonder why we weren't throwing them twice weekly."

Rereading that, I don't know if I should have held on to that particular statement as long as I have.

All I know is, I was feeling totally unpopular and nobodyish, until I got home and two things happened:

1. My passport arrived two weeks earlier than the earliest they said it would. This makes me feel extremely important, as there are constantly stories on the news about people who applied for their passports in March and still don't have them. Of course, the ultimate irony in all this is that, since the time I ordered my passport back in May, Ben and I have changed our honeymoon plans to go to Mexico, for which I currently don't actually need a passport.

2. While walking the dog, Jeni and I saw a man in the street taking pictures of something with his cell phone. As we approached, we saw a gigantic black bird perched menacingly on the fence of the baseball field-- a buzzard, something I have never actually seen before in real life. We watched it for about five minutes, and were particularly enthralled when it hopped off the fence and began eating a dead squirrel in the road. Once we dropped Che off at the house, I ran back to try to take its picture, but it was already gone.

What does this mean? Is it a sign of some sort? A sign that I shouldn't be so down, because at least I get to sit on my couch eating Cheez-Its instead of scavenging for carrion? All I know is, it's a lot harder to feel bad about yourself when there's a three foot tall raptor hanging out outside your house.

5 pipers piping:

hat said...

Pas possible, ma chere. Our world could not be as lively and meaningful as it is without you in it. Besides, you received the special treatment from the passport office. While this could never suffice as a confirmation of your value or importance, it's an indication of how much the world loves Kim Shable. That's way cool.

Anonymous said...

Kim

I agree with Hat (which makes me giggle).

But, just to be sure, you could try some carrion. Or use that passport to come to barcelona....

e

Anonymous said...

Buzzards are always a good sign! I don't know why, but it's true. They appeared regularly in Florida to herald various events.

About once every 2 or 3 years one will be standing around in my (busy) street. Always always good.

mendacious said...

i think you now need your passport for both canada and mexico. so there's that! here's to buzzards and honeymoons.

Unknown said...

Carrion is ok, but to get the good stuff you have to fight those damn buzzards. And they're as mean as, well, as a buzzard. Duck loves you.