Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Farewell to Wands

Just finished HP & the DH about two hours ago... face is puffy, but spirits are good. I have so much to say, but don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't finished. So here, in extremely censored form, are my thoughts:

1. I heart Harry Potter.

2. I heart cameos-- ride on, Cadogan, ride on!

3. Some people seem a little too brave since the last time we saw them.

4. Some deaths: not necessary?

5. Some: highly necessary. But totally gut-wrenchingly sad.

6. Where the fuck was the Mimbulus Mimbletonia?

I will say this: I am a life-long reader of books, and studied literature in-depth for seven years, and I have never, never cried the way I cried at this book (except maybe at the end of Where the Red Fern Grows, but dude, I was only eight). All in all, a highly satisfying end to a cultural phenomenon I feel proud to have been a part of, even if I wasn't in on the ground floor (much props to Ashley and Denise K. for getting me on board).

So, Potter lovers, where do we go from here? And don't say Lord of the Rings, because I am not doing that.

6 pipers piping:

Cue said...

We start reading the whole series again, immediately!!!

...Or at least, that's all I've come up with. That, or go see the new HP movie. But I'm afraid that might not be the pick-me-up I'm looking for.

Frisby said...

The Lord of the Rings is lame. The films were a vast improvement over the text, and they're still fairly lame. Meanwhile...

Reserve Detail

For: Harry Potter and the deathly hallows / Rowling, J. K.
Book

You are number 23 on the waiting list.

(There's something a little sad about a library not getting title case correct.)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning the Where the Red Fern Grows. Now I need a whole new box of tissues...

Here's my pissed-off-that-it-was-unresolved-thingy:
When Voldemort's and Harry's wands joined in the graveyard,Voldemort's wand started regurgitating spells in reverse order. But, Harry's FATHER came our before Harry's MOTHER. If it was in reverse order, his MOTHER should have been first! What's up with that??

Anonymous said...

You're thinking way too hard thaddeus.

For the record, I think you guys are wrong about lord of the rings: that trilogy is very similar to this one, an *amazing* story told by a sub-par, but passable, author.

I also liked(ish) the book. There were things here and there and I thought the last chapter was a bit weak (a little confusing, perhaps completely unneccesary, etc), but overall I liked it.

As for new fiction geared towards children, I'm going to try the "his dark materials" trilogy which starts with "the golden compass" which is also a forthcoming film: www.goldencompassmovie.com

Also, I think that within 5 years you'll see an announcement for a series (probably just a trilogy) on either the next generation or, more likely, the previous one.

steph said...

seriously. i cried and cried and cried. not just because of that whole ( i don't want to spoil it for people that haven't read it all yet, either)last few chapters thing, but because the series is over!

i don't know where we go. but i heart snape extra a lot, myself.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm thinking too hard about it or not- it was just something I noticed. Every other thing like that (ie why did dumbledore have james's cloak if he could make himself invisible without it? and so on) was neatly answered and solved.

I'm guessing she has an answer and just doesn't want to tell us.