Monday, June 25, 2007

The fall of Chris Benoit


A totally fucked-up story from Yahoo: former WCW wrestler (and member of the Four Horsemen along with Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, and Dean Malenko) Chris Benoit killed his wife and son over the weekend, and then shot himself.

Chris Benoit was totally a favorite of mine during my WCW glory days (along with sorely missed Eddie Guerero). Rich and Alan and I watched many a Benoit match, and marveled at his cheerful Candian-ness. I even had-- and still have, actually-- a Chris Benoit valentine card (because apparently, nothing says "I love you" like a sweaty, half-naked wrestler on a flimsy cardboard card).

But apparently, my former WCW heroes are not faring so well.

So please, Ric Flair, hear my impassioned plea-- do not die in some horrible way. Don't kill anybody, don't do any drugs, don't fly in any planes. Shirley might not miss you, but my heart, it would break.

1 pipers piping:

penelope said...

When I heard it was a wrestler, I was relieved to then find out it wasn't Ric Flair, for your sake.

But really, this story chilled me. I'll never understand, though I really hate to say it, why kill other people before you kill yourself? Why not leave them out of the equation and just do what you need to do?

Sigh.