Thursday, December 21, 2006

Harry Potter and the...

I'm sure most of you already know it by now, but I don't want to spoil the surprise for those who don't: the title of the final Harry Potter book was just revealed.

We need some serious discussion of this. While the name hints at insane amounts of drama and intrigue, it seems a little too Nancy Drew-ish to me. Also, could it be a reference to Godric's Hollow?

Oh, man. I am such a geek.

That having been said, let's discuss!

7 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

All of the titles have been Nancy Drew-ish (or Hardy Boy-ish if you're of that persuasion), so it doesn't seem to far out of line.

Here's my big question though. Wormtail owes a life debt to Harry (from prisoner of azkaban). Did Voldemort inherit that from Wormtail since Wormtail was an essential ingredient in the potion that brought him back to life? Harry's Mother's protection has passed along, thus allowing Voldemort to touch Harry. Why not Wormtail's life debt?

Anonymous said...

Another thought- Maybe there are FOUR hollows, one for each of the founders of Hogwarts?? And each one has a Horcrux?

Assuming of course that Godric's Hollow is named after Godric Gryffindor.

Frisby said...

Wow. I don't think I'm cool enough to join this conversation. I read all the books, but I don't have such a great memory of the details. Thaddeus is blowing me away here.

Of course, I feel compelled to point out that the titular word is "Hallows", not "Hollows", which is confusing, because I'm not even sure "hallow" can be used as a noun. Unless, that is, it has some special Harry-Potter-world meaning I can't recall.

I'm more curious about Snape's fate. I remain of the opinion that he's not such a bad guy, and absent the Unbreakable Vow, he wouldn't have done what he did.

Baseless Prediction: Snape ultimately sides with Good, but Our Gang, either ignorant of this or blinded by anger over Dumbledore's death, ends up killing him.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the Snape question is tough. I agree with Jim, although I'm not sure for what reason he killed Dumbledore. I'm predicting that Snape will have a hand in the death of Voldemort. Anyone else's thoughts?

Kim said...

Snape will DEFINITELY side with good. At least, I hope he will-- I have to admit, Snape is by far my favorite character-- even more, I think, than Harry himself. My guess? He dies defending Harry from Voldemort.

I will most likely sob my face off.

penelope said...

If Snape is one of the two main characters slated to die, I have to say that I am (presently) okay with that.

Ooo, I can't wait for Book 7!!!

penelope said...

And I don't know about "hallows" as a noun, either, unless it's a British thing? Or unless she's making it into a sort of noun, meaning Deathly... Devotions?

Hallows, Halloween... I don't know. It's supposed to mean "holy" right?