Monday, October 30, 2006

Surprises and shirtlessness



Attention, everyone! Please go see The Prestige, because it is an awesome, awesome movie. It is, for instance, the first movie I have seen since V For Vendetta that I left the theater actually wanting to talk about something other than its badness.

Also, for the ladies, there are several scenes in which Hugh Jackman is shirtless. Just saying.

I will warn you beforehand that both Ben and Jeni figured out the surprise ending way before I did; Jeni went so far as to declare the movie "predictable." I, on the other hand, did not figure it out until much later, which is a little vexing, as I pride myself on figuring out trick endings and then deriding their obviousness. But in my own defense, let me just say that somehow, I had heard or just made up that the trick ending was something totally different than what it actually was, and spent so much time looking for evidence of my own supposed trick ending that I missed all the clues pointing to the actual trick ending.

So, for the record, and just to help you out, the trick ending is not that Christian Bale is actually magic.

Anyway, go see it, so we can talk about it. Because Ben is tired of discussing this movie with me, and will not entertain my desires to go see it again, perhaps because I showed too much interest in shirtless Hugh Jackman.

4 pipers piping:

Frisby said...

Hmm. Wrong trick ending, eh? Perhaps you should lay the blame for your error at the chest of Hugh Jackman. I can imagine how it might cloud one's thinking.

ashley said...

Hugh Jackman shirtless (multiple times!) is always a reason to pay $7 at the cineplex.

mendacious said...

i just saw it on vacation. it was interesting if way too dark- frankly i wouldve watched a whole movie with david bowie as nikola tesla- now that was awesome!

some of the plot points could've been better- like sarah? why so weak. and the psychopath twins? surely there was another way?! and just say no to obsession and bird killing!! peta should really find other things that fur to complain about now... and didn't you want hugh to sort of overcome? and he like so didn't... !. but you're right lots and lots to DISCUSS!!!

Ed & Jeanne said...

Are Scarlett or Piper shirtless?? Just saying...