Thursday, October 05, 2006

My Life as a TV Watcher: Day One



As most of you know, Ben and I don't watch much TV. This is not, I must stress, because we sit around at home and do Masterpiece Theatre type things, like identify local flora or read Proust. In fact, I honestly couldn't tell you, a lot of the time, what we're doing instead of watching TV-- in the summer, it was bike-riding or dog-walking, and in the winter, a lot of the time, it's basketball. But I told Ben last week that I wanted to start watching more TV, and thankfully, he agreed.

Our main TV night, we have decided, will be Wednesday, mainly because:

  • America's Next Top Model is on, and I'm tired of only experiencing it through VH1 marathons.
  • We saw last week's recap episode of Lost, and it looked really bitchin', and besides, most people inform me that I will really love this show.
  • South Park is on, and, though it shames me to admit this, Ben and I are the only people alive who still watch and enjoy it.

After a test run last week, we settled in last night for our first Evening of Television (although Ben opted out for the ANTM portion, as he believes it to be "gay"). My thoughts:

  • If I weighed forty pounds less, I could totally be on ANTM, as all those girls are secretly sort of weird-looking. I guess I had never realized before how weird-looking you had to be to be a model. But Tyra's not weird-looking, she's just pretty.
  • I don't understand Lost at all, and I sort of doubt I ever will. It just seems like everything is weird and complicated for weirdness' and complicatedness' sake. How can the Lead Other also be Matthew Fox's wife's boyfriend? Are those houses actually on the island? And if so, why has no one yet located them? Does Stephen King approve of being the Others' book club selection? I mean, obviously I have missed a lot, and one recap show will totally not help that much. But is it too late for me and Lost?
  • South Park is really, really gross.

We have decided, after a marathon viewing session of the first season DVD, to expand our Night of Television to include The Office, which we both find excruciatingly funny, except for Steve Carrell's character, who we both just hate, and not in the way you hate a particularly good TV villain (i.e., Newman). We actually just really hate him, and use his screen time to go get more Chex Mix. Although he did have the funniest line thus far (now granted, we've only watched the one season), which was "Abraham Lincoln said 'If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North.'"

Any other thoughts on how I should modify my TV viewing schedule? I like it thus far, as it is contained to one evening-- since I don't have a TiVo or anything of the sort, and hate reasoning with the VCR, I am pretty much restricted to actually watching things as they happen, instead of at my convenience, although I've sort of been begging for TiVo since last winter-- but would gladly entertain substitutes for, say, Lost, which, the more I think about it, I am probably not going to watch much more of, as things that are purposefully confusing irritate the shit out of me (see Memento).

5 pipers piping:

mendacious said...

i'm sure you're going to read our blog and comment any minute- but i had to say i think you should switch to thursday tv nights. Mainly cuz i love the Office and My name is earl. Even if most of the actors are scientologists.

Also: Southpark: what do you mean no one's watching it? That show is genius. And i defy anyone to tell me otherwise- although the scatology gets to be a bit much and then i close my eys.

Lost: I've been watching from the beginning and you chose a difficult time to get into it- i myself feel completely fucked with and can't stand the heaping mystery after mystery after, wah- we're idiots and we're going to keep making stupid mistakes like Jack doing what the woman says and then gets punched out by her- the fuck. that's all i have to say. anyway it's angering... phew sorry- i just need to post about it.

and aren't we glad moniques gone!woo!

Anonymous said...

Tyra is SO weird looking! Are you kidding?

Frisby said...

In re: The Office

This is an awesome show. On a lark, I purchased season 1 on DVD this past (passed?) Friday. I stayed up until something like 2 or 3 watching it, and then purchased season 2 on Saturday. That was my whole weekend: watching twenty-eight episodes of The Office.

Steve Carrell's character is terrific, you crazy lady-type! (Am I imagining it, or do "terrific" and "terrible" have a common etymology?) I will admit that it is physically painful to watch him, especially during the first season, but that's kind of the point. If it makes you feel better, though, the writers actually toned it down during the second season. He's still not someone you'd ever want to spend time with, but the funny-to-grating ratio has definitely improved.

I pretty much no longer watch television, except in DVD form, so I can't comment on any of those other shows.

And don't be hatin' on Memento! Sheesh! Are you and I gonna have to have words? I nearly got a "Remember Sammy Jankis" tattoo, I liked it so much.

Hugs and Kisses,
Frisby

penelope said...

Totally proud that you're watching more TV! I think you should do Wednesdays and Thursdays. And possibly Mondays, as there is an excellent sitcom block from 8-10 on CBS, including Two and a Half Men, which stars Duckie from Pretty in Pink, as well as How I Met Your Mother, which everyone should be watching because it's so fun.

Tyra is totally weird looking, and knows it. Haven't you ever heard her talk about her five-head? Also, v. glad Monique's gone. I'm siiiiick, wah. Suck it up, Bratty McBratterson.

Frisby's right about Steve Carrell's character on The Office. You're not supposed to like him. Steve Carrell's own father gets so uncomfortable watching his son play Michael Scott that he too often leaves the room to get a snack. But it totally is the point, that he's a boob. And I say "boob" only because Steve Carrell used the term on his Ellen interview.

Also, let me just cite episodes like the Booze Cruise, season 2, where Michael exhibits his serious, heartfelt side in brief but profound moments and totally makes you feel warmer toward him.

Lost, I agree w/ m that you chose a difficult time to pick up, but don't give up, not yet. I highly recommend renting the first two seasons, because w/o them, need I say what you'll be? Lost. Ahem. Anyway, it will give you the added advantage of seeing all the eps back to back and you'll probably know more about Lost than someone like, say, me, who just watches week to week and feels so overloaded with information that I'll probably never watch the repeats. I often feel Lost while watching Lost.

Lost is more and more of a boy show, I think. ANTM, however, you can sometimes convince a boy to watch, because hey, it is a room full of models.

You would LOVE My Name is Earl, just on a side note.

Yay, TV!

Unknown said...

Lost: Check http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page for full wiki-style notes on the show

I also dig south park, the office (though the BBC version is better) and Earl.

I kind of like heros as well. Finally, I suggest studio 60 on the sunset strip. Aaron Sorkin is the most talented television writer on, uh, television.

-js