Monday, May 15, 2006

Yan Yan Mango World Market Wowee!

(Sorry, I have no idea what that means. It just sounded vaguely like those crazy t-shirts you occasionally see Japanese people wearing.)

So Ben and I are walking around World Market the other day in search of tasty wine when I stumble upon a display of English candy (my favorite, brought back by my dad's trip to London, is the Cadbury Flake) when it occurred to me-- if they have English candy, they might have Asian candy! And the presence of Asian candy can mean only one thing:

Yan Yan.

You may remember Yan Yan from its brief foray into American food, maybe around 1989, under the name Skinny Dippers. The premise: bland cracker sticks with a tasty, tasty chocolate dipping fudge.

I had pined for Skinny Dippers from the time they mysteriously disappeared after I left the fourth grade (when I used to eat them during the Jim Henson Story Hour) until I went away to graduate school and Hoang-Anh, Ashley and I rediscovered them, as well as the world's greatest dried mango, at a Vietnamese market in Wilmington.

After I left there, I thought I would never have Yan Yan again, unless I could coerce Ashley or Hoang-Anh to send me some. But after a frantic seven-minute search, I managed to unearth not only the delicious mango, but the motherlode itself: shelf after shelf of Yan Yan.

Being a more consciencious eater than I was in grad school, I restricted myself to only two Yan Yans-- one for me, and one for Ben. (I ate most of the mango in the car.) But it will make me sleep easier, knowing that Yan Yan is readily available, only a few miles from my home.

Soon, I will be fat. But I will be full of Yan Yan, so it just might be worth it.

2 pipers piping:

Alan said...

I was obsessed with Skinny Dippers as well. I'm going go get some Yan Yan tonight!

Most likely I'll throw the crackers away and just drink the fudge...mmmm...sweet delcious asian chocolate

Just get me some Dunk-aroos and I'm golden!

Anonymous said...

Is Yan Yan anything like Pocky?