Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Neil Diamond: Real American Hero

I don't know why, but I am experiencing another Neil Diamond revival. Not that I am not always into Neil Diamond-- I have embarrassed myself in front of many a friend with my deep and, to others, petrifying love of Neil Diamond-- but there are some times when I am really into Neil Diamond. And this is one of those times.

A little background: My initial introduction to Neil Diamond was made by my parents when, while I was very young, they apparently played his "Taproot Manuscript" album again and again. All I really took away from that was an appreciation for the song "I am the Lion," mainly because it had little kids singing in it, and Neil Diamond made a very convincing lion. A few years later, maybe when I was ten, I was introduced to his live album, "Hot August Night," which again held little interest for me, except for the rousing, nine-minute closer, "Soolaimon/Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show", which I committed to memory, even the long, long speech he performed in the middle. I was able to do this by transferring the song to a tape, and taking the tape with me in a Walkman to day camp, which pretty much cemented my status as the Biggest Spaz Ever to Attend Day Camp.

But other than that, and a general love of his other songs, I basically had myself down as a Casual Neil Diamond Fan until college, when I woke one day with a burning, indistinct but very intense need to go out that day and buy "Hot August Night" on CD. This marked the start of Revival One: Really Zealous (But Not Overly So) Neil Diamond Fan. I would play my new CDs for my friends, turning the music down from ear-piercing levels only to explain, "This is where Neil really rocks out!" Luckily for me, but unfortunately for our next door neighbors, my roommate Katy also loved Neil Diamond, so we danced around continously to his vaguely anti-establishment, sugar-free brand of rock.

From there my fanaticism didn't wane, but simply plateaued for awhile (except for one notable moment when, while drunk, I discovered that my friend Tom had a vinyl copy of "Hot August Night," and made him play the "Soolaimon/Brother Love" encore like five timeswhile everyone else watched, bored and horrified) until just recently, when I have found myself, more and more, reaching for a little Neil to get me through the day.

Most people will scoff at my deep, freaky love of Neil Diamond, but I defy them-- I defy anyone-- to say there is not one Neil Diamond song that they enjoy. It's not possible for someone to simply not like any Neil Diamond songs; if they do, it means they have no soul, and are possibly in league with the devil.

Because come on! I Am, I Said! Cherry Cherry! Red Red Wine! Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon! I'm a Believer! (Yes, that IS a Neil Diamond song! Taste it!) Crunchy Granola Suite! (Okay, no one knows that one. But it's my favorite, so I throw it in.) Cracklin' Rosie! Coming to America! (If you watch the Olympics, you LIKE Neil Diamond. Period.) Forever in Blue Jeans! And if I still don't have you, consider this: SWEET. CAROLINE.

I really pondered whether or not I would expose my Neil Diamond-ness to the harsh, harsh elements of the blogosphere, considering that most of my friends listen to actual music, and would poop on Neil Diamond, if given the chance. But as I walked through the grocery store this afternoon, I heard Neil singing "You Got to Me," and I actually said out loud, "Jesus, this is a great song!" And the guy there, stocking the bread, he nodded his agreement.

Neil is everywhere! Do not resist his charms.

10 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

I would like to point out that I know Crunchy Granola Suite. Dig?? (Although I will also confess that I was at Tom's during the vinyl episode, and it was a bad scene.)

TRY MY BRAND!!

penelope said...

I too, am a Neil Diamond fan from childhood. I remember watching "The Jazz Singer" when I was a wee lass. It's rated PG and everything.

mendacious said...

yes, but he's no barry manalowe.

Megs said...

My sister has been hanging out in a new bar here that is owned by a Neil Diamond cover band--they used to be called the Cubic Zirconia, but now they have a much stupider name that I can't remember. Anyway, I feel as if she's being inducted into some Neil Diamond cult.

Anonymous said...

'...In the 1991 film What About Bob?, the protagonist posits,"There are two types of people in the world: those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't". He attributes the failure of his marriage to his ex-wife's fondness for Neil Diamond....'

Kim, I'm a "Song Sung Blue" girl m'self. Although lately I've been finding myself rolling a little more into the brit-synth-arena rock of ELO lately. I blame all the commercials that play ELO songs in the background....damn 30 something marketers!

Joe said...

Kim,

Just passing through...actually I was doing a search on the internet for Neil Diamond and ran across your blog.

Don't apologize for liking Neil Diamond. I was about 10 years old when first introduced to him by seeing "The Jazz Singer" at the movies. That's all it took: I was hooked.

So imagine growing up in elementary school and being the "number one and only Neil Diamond fan." Yeah, someone actually signed my yearbook one year like that. I was ridiculed and made fun of for my idolization of Neil. But I didn't care.

Now that I'm 38 years old, my musical tastes have broadened. I'm a rock guitar player but I still have a ton of ND in my iTunes. "Hot August Night" will always be the ultimate live album for me. Something about that record and that show will always carry a mystique about it.

I just wanted to share my $0.02 with you. I loved the ND post. Made me walk down my memory lane of growing up with him as well. Thank you!

SkollarMan said...

At work listening to my Ipod in my cublicle on a friday afternoon Almost at the nd of Disc 1 "Hot August Night" And The Grass won't pay no mind.

This was one of my earliest memories of music having been born right before 1970. Started with my parents playing Neil on Vynl and in the car on roadtrips (along with other music) Then me making tapes of Hot August Night andcommitting to memory every song including his dialogue after Done too Soon.

Thank you people in the audience, the pays, tree people out there God Bless ya i'm singing for you too!

That album has been with me all of my life! It really is very special. Evokes past memories, inspires new moments and deep feelings. Love, Loss, Sadness, Alone, Joy sweet Joy and Hope.

Holly Holy has to be one of the most inspired performances ever to see or be recorded.

I enjoy his later music and really like Jazz Singer but for me This was his best stuff! Saw him in Concert after the jazz Singer came out when I was about 14...Awesome!

Proud to say I'm a Neil Dimanond
fan!

One day perhaps I'll be able to see H.A.N. live;)

Anonymous said...

im 17 and about a year ago i heard my dads 'Hot August Night' record and i have to say its one the best records ive ever heard !
Crunchy Granola Suite is my favourite actually.. thats how i found this page.

If anyone here plays guitar could you pleaseeee head over to ultimateguitar.com and post the tabs to Crunchy Granola Suite? Just the intro/rhythm thing. do it for all the Neil Diamond Fans !!
whether theyre 17 or 70

Anonymous said...

Listening to "If You Go Away" was akin to a religious experience for me.

I drew and colored pictures of him and placed them on my windows.

A friend just sent me an ND video, singing "Sweet Caroline" sometime back when it had first come out, and I was again struck by how totally hot he was. Those eyes! Those lips! Those low notes!

Anonymous said...

Kim, thank you that was a beautiful post. I recently turned 40, which is somewhere between Neil Diamond's era and your age : ) My dad was a huge ND fan and so I grew up listening to his music, but it stuck with me and to date I love his music. Bruce Springsteen's 3 CD set is one of my favorite music experiences, but the Hot August Night is incredible and it and remains a spiritual experience for me.

I also absolutely love the Jonathan Livingston Seagull soundtrack.

: )