Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Return to Wilmywood


Hey, y'all! (See, I've been back two days already and I'm still saying it! Never did get the southern accent I wanted, though... blast!) My trip to Wilmington was fantastic, although the goings and comings of it were a little rough (more on that in a minute). Between the pig-pickin' (fabulously and expertly hosted by Justin and Dave-- again, sorry about the beer on the rug, Justin!), the baby-seeing (Kaleigh has awesome rapper-esque hand moves!), the Hadley-seeing ("We're kangaroos! I'm a big kangaroo and you're a giant kangaroo! And we live in the kitchen and eat kangaroo food!"), and the all-out shopping, story-swapping and general hanging out with Ashley (I so miss hanging out!), it was a giant blast. I was sad to leave, as usual... but I have to mention-- and this is just a tiny possibility!-- that when I brought up the idea of perhaps moving down there to Ben, he didn't seem disagreeable. I don't think it would be any time soon, so all y'all better just plan on living there for awhile, just in case.

It would have been an even longer trip, had I not ended up spending the night in Atlanta with my new bosom friends from flight 2248 after our plane was unceremoniously cancelled. There is a great deal more to tell of the story, but the telling of it seems to give me hives, so here instead is my quick guide to What To Do If Your Plane is Cancelled In Atlanta:

1. ALWAYS PACK CLEAN UNDERWEAR AND SOCKS AND DEODORANT IN YOUR CARRY-ON. I cannot stress this enough, as the stink from my 36-hour shirt managed to permeate the rest of my clothes in my suitcase on the return trip.

2. If someone wearing a Delta vest snatches your ticket out of your hand and runs it through a machine and hands you a ticket for a flight the next day, smack her. I didn't actually do this, but wish now that I had. In fact, I sort of looked for her during my return trip, just so I could glower menacingly at her. But alas, I didn't find her.

3. Remember: If you smoke, the best smoking rooms are on C-concourse. There is nothing at all of note on D-concourse, which generally just sort of sucks.

4. Don't make fun of anyone on your flight, because you might end up eating dinner with them later.

But it obviously all turned out okay, and I got a good story out of it, and am now a savvy air traveler who will not burst into tears in front of all the other passengers from her plane, prompting them to alternately mock me and give me Kleenex.

And Rocky, Amanda, Bruce, Debbie, Donna and Ashley, I hope you had as good a time in Wilmington as I did.

1 pipers piping:

Matt said...

Ah, Wilmington. I am starting my own countdown for our trip south, although we will be driving, so we don't have to worry about spending the night in Atlanta, only making a 10-hour drive with a two-year-old. Only 35 days to go.