Saturday, January 14, 2006

Crochet it isn't so!

Okay, I have to stop with the blog title puns. I'm starting to sound like the guy who writes the categories on $25,000 Pyramid.

But I figured I couldn't really pass this one up, as it so accurately depicts my new and obsessive love of crochet. Although I technically still don't know how to really crochet anything, except a straight line, and have only learned how over the last three days, I am now totally and insanely in love with crocheting. I could be out doing totally normal, adult things, like buying fruit at the grocery store or sitting at work, and then this voice in my head says, "You know what you ought to do, is crochet yourself some sort of bag to tote apples in. Because that would be pretty sweet, right? An apple bag?"

As I mentioned, so far my mother has taught me only how to single crochet in a completely straight line; if I wanted to, for instance, stop crocheting and end my project where it is (currently: three long rows of single crochet, too thin for a scarf, too long for a headband. But still totally awesome!), I wouldn't be able to, because I don't know how to stop crocheting and not have the whole thing unravel. It's sort of a metaphor for my fragile crochet hopes and dreams.

And yet I press on with my lame, non-entity crochet project. In fact, I brought my crochet into a bar with me last night, not because I wanted to crochet, but because I had switched cars several times and was afraid I would forget it if I left it in the car I had come in. But even as I sat there having a fantastic time with my friends and co-workers (although I was secretly sad not to have won at Boggle during our Christmas party, held a few hours earlier), I heard the crochet calling to me-- no one will think you're weird if you crochet here in this bar. Just plop yourself down on that comfy couch and get your crochet on. They'll think it's cool. It'll be the biggest new fad-- crochet bars.

Luckily, I was able to resist its siren call and use the bar for its intended purpose of stupid intoxication. But as soon as I'm done with this blog, I will be unable to resist any longer, and the non-project will begin to take on an even more pointless shape.

4 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

Three days crocheting is an awesome accomplishment! Give yourself a pat on the back and visit the website http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S for video stitch help! :)

I wish you well on your crochet journey!
Sincerely,
~Dee

penelope said...

You must teach me your ways, Crochet Master. I so want to learn.

Hip Girl said...

That website that they listed is pretty good, I get emails from the crochet group on about.com too.

Matt said...

Alyssa started crocheting a couple years ago, and so far she has made the world's longest, widest scarf. Either that, or it's a blanket for a seven-foot-tall stick man, not quite sure. But it is definitely cool.