Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmastime... is heeeere...


It's reached that time of year, when I can think of nothing but secular Christmas joy. So, although many interesting and fun things have happened to me since the last time I wrote (thanks, Jeremy and John, for the birthday extravaganza fun!), I feel it is time to compile my annual Things That Are Awesome About Christmas list.

(Okay, I lie. It's not really annual, because I've never done it before. But next year, when this time comes again, I'll be able to declare it the Second Annual TTAAAC List.)

In no particular order:

1. Barking dogs. Jingle Bells. 'Nough said.

2. The Heat Miser. I don't think I've ever actually seen this cartoon, but dang, his song is catchy.

3. Ohio Lottery Scratch-Off Tickets (#1 stocking gift, 20 years running)

4. Linus' Christmas speech

5. That insane guy in Bainbridge that puts up all the Christmas lights

6. Whatever collection company sends my office the awesome truffles

7. Porky Pig's rendition of "Blue Christmas"

8. That old Garfield Christmas special. Why don't they show that shit anymore? Is it because Garfield has become a shameless shill for the Chia Pet organization?

9. Also MIA: That special with the mice inside the clock. I don't even remember the point of it, but it doesn't really seem like Christmas without being forced to sit through it.

10. The fact that every time they talk about wrapping Christmas presents, one or both of my parents feel compelled to blurt out "Well my name is Mom, and I'm here to say/I love wrapping presents in a major way." Because my parents have awesome rapping skillz.

I'm sure I'll think of about 5,000 things I like better about Christmas, so I'll be sure to post them in all their inane glory.

8 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

Kim, thanks for the invite to read the blog. Just FYI, Heatmiser is from the classic "The Year Without a Santa Claus" - I think it might get some playtime on FX. I think the Mice one had something to do with the brainy mouse losing and regaining Christmas spirit. It had a good ditty in it too, refrain was "even a miracle needs a hand." Anyway, have a great holiday Season.

Peter

Matt said...

How could you forget Trans-Siberian Orchestra? Nothing beats an 80s metal band hitting it big with screeching Christmas classics, especially when you see 75-year-old grandmas jamming to Carol of the Bells, Savatage-style.

Hip Girl said...

The special with the mice is "The Night Before Christmas" and I have it on VHS if you want to watch it.

Anonymous said...

A few notes:

1) Barking dogs suck
2) Heat miser = awesome. Theres a cold miser too, is there not?

3) I know it was mentioned in the intro, but NUMBER ONE should be Jeremy and John's Birthday Party for Themselves -- every year the week before Christmas until the end of time.

Kristen said...

I love the night before Christmas movie!!!!!! The garfield chia pet cracks me up since sarah got me a chia pet thing! Mine is tweety though! :-)

Anonymous said...

Aren't the mice in the clocks related to the Night Before Christmas short? I think that was actually on at my boss's house during our Christmas party, which prompted our graphic designer to exclaim, "I love the wigs on these characters!"

Anonymous said...

The party is absolutely #1 material. Also, I would include the greatest Christmas song ever, Father Christmas by The Kinks.

Great blog. Great to see you and Ben at the shindig.

T. said...

you really need to download Bon Jovi's suggestive version of "Back Door Santa."