Tuesday, November 08, 2005

My boyfriend: Super Genius

My friend Alan has a job in which his company hires highly skilled scientists and the like to take temporary positions at companies in their field. He sent me this line of one of the applicant's resumes today:

"Dissertation Title: Olefin Metathesis Approaches to Sulfur-Containing Heterocycles and Oligomers and Soluble Oligomeric Reagents "

This, of course, made me feel painfully stupid, since my thesis was called "Famous Men I Almost Met," and included such intellectual whoppers as "The Nature Boy" and "I'm With the Band."

So then, on a lark, I sent the dissertation title to Ben to see if he knew what it meant, and he came up with this:

"It's essentially the decomposition (metathesis describes a "double decomposition" reaction) of olefins (mono-unsaturated hydrocarbons - think ethylene) resulting in the production of sulfur ring compounds (heterocycles) and small polymers made up of one, two, three ish monomer units (oligomers) and the monomer units that make the oligomers."

Even though I still have no idea what he's really talking about, I find it painfully sexy that he knows this.

3 pipers piping:

Hip Girl said...

WOW, That's a lot of big words. Reminds me a lot of Marianne's thesis title. This is exactly why I only have a 4 yr degree

Anonymous said...

Your laments on aging amuse me. If you want to feel truly old try teaching high school. I am only 27, but I'd might as well be their grandma.
As further proof, even my comments to your blog are already horribley out of date as I am the lamest sort of lamo who onle gets aroung to checking emails once a week or so.
In any event it always refreshing to see the world thorugh Shabbyvision again. Blog On!!

T. said...

Science is sexy. Mathmatical formulas and fifty-dollar words get me hot.