Monday, November 07, 2005

Day of Day of the Tentacle


Lately, Ben has become obsessed (again) with some sort of computer game called "Civilization," which, from what I can tell, requires you to move poorly animated little men around and make them do things like buy fish and fight hoardes, and appears to take one bazillion years to complete.

So, to combat this and prevent a repeat of the last time he fell under this game's evil power (in which I read and reread old copies of Writer's Digest and became convinced that he did not love me anymore), I decided to go back and play one of my own classic computer favs-- LucasArts' Day of the Tentacle.

Surprisingly, though, I finished the entire game in less than a day, which made me sort of sad and nostalgic. I remembered this game being one of the hardest-won triumphs of my adolescence, mainly because, as a giant nerd, I did not have to grapple with larger issues like going to first base or alcohol abuse.

It also made me remember, with a grim sort of horror, that I got in massive amounts of trouble over this game, because in those pre-Internet days, I wasn't able to just look up a walkthrough, and was forced to call the LucasArts tip hotline. Many, many, many times.

The scene with my parents was like something out of Blossom, only without the funky hats, which I could not wear because of my unbearably puffy hair.

2 pipers piping:

Hip Girl said...

Ohh for the days when we didn't care what the boys did in their free time....now we have to see it all!!

Anonymous said...

I've been addicted to Microsoft Pinball lately. I'm dying for a new game. One that requires no thought or skill. I'm not into levels that take me a lifetime to figure out. Maybe I should take up playing jacks. Or Uno.