Thursday, November 06, 2008

Rebuilding Music-con One

Now, as many of you know, I lost my mega awesome music collection in the Great Hard Drive Crash of '08; I have been slowly reassembling, but the going is rough (do I really need to search out another copy of "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison? I probably do, right?).

What you may not know is that for the last ten months, I've been collecting approximately seven million Pepsi points and redeeming them for MP3 downloads on Amazon. As a full-on Diet Pepsi addict, I've managed to score at least 40 songs this way (as well as three CDs, a Pepsi t-shirt, and Home Movies season four on DVD-- I drink a LOT of Pepsi), but I still have enough for 20 more songs, and I have to admit, I'm totally running out of ideas. For instance, today I just downloaded the 1985 classic "Dog Eat Dog" by Weird Al Yankovic. So, I'm tapped out.

Any suggestions for cool songs I should be looking for? Keeping in mind my strict evaluation criteria:

1. Must not be snobby people music (no Radiohead or anything with an artfully illustrated pen-and-ink drawing on its cover)

2. Repetitive chorus preferred; na-na chorus a BIG plus

3. Oldies always welcome (but no Neil Young, as Neil Young just sort of sucks. Sorry.)

4. If I played it in marching band or Guitar Hero, I'll probably like it

5. Also, I go nuts for songs where there's instruments? And then all the sudden it's just singing and drums. That's the best.

So please, help me out here-- I have to use these points up by the end of next week, and if I can't think of anything, I have to use them on a Tom Morello CD for Ben, and really, there's only so much accoustic anarchy pop one can listen to on a daily basis.

4 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

I give you the great Benji Hughes.

Anonymous said...

Here's my suggestion. Go get "The Infanta" from The Decemberist's Picaresque.

One of the craziest songs I've ever heard. I mean, who can seriously write songs like that? With a straight face?

If you halfway like it, I'd suggest the whole album, but if I were to pick and choose, get- The Sporting Life, 16 Military Wives and The Mariner's Revenge Song.

Actually, get The Mariner's Revenge song anyways. I mean, who writes sea shanties anymore?

Thaddeus

Anonymous said...

Your specifications can only lead to one song - "The Look" by Roxette. Forget that its possibly the worst song ever written and that it gets into your head for days and days and makes you want to tear your own ears off. Its an "oldie." Its got the "nananas," like, up the wazoo. Its got the guitar drop out drum singing thing. I dont know what the cover looks like, but I am going to guess there is no pen and ink.
You're welcome!
:)

Matt said...

The Wake of Magellan by Savatage.

Chance by Savatage

This will give you instruments, plus metal. You will listen to Savatage, if it's the last thing I force you to do.