Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Heart of Darkness

I've been so busy diligently writing the world's shittiest novel and celebrating the election of not Sarah Palin that I didn't really get a chance to give a shout-out to the return of my old pal, the Darkness.

Because unlike most people, who seem to feel that the shortening of days is like time theft on par with the hours of your life that are regularly stolen by the Lifetime Movie Network, I very much welcome the long evenings, for several reasons:

1. I am more attractive at dusk.

2. I have always equated night time with farting around time-- the longer it is until sundown, the longer I'm obligated to remain active, because you just look sort of fascist if you choose to sit inside while the sun is still out. The end of daylight savings time means pretty much unlimited farting around time, and this, in summary, is why my Guitar Hero skills are so much better than yours.

3. The cover of darkness allows me to sing really loudly in my car on the freeway on the way home without being seen.

4. Ditto emergency mobile nose-picking.

The only major problem that I can see with the end of DST is that it is followed by the sacred Ohio holiday Drive Like an Asshole Because Apparently Your Car Functions Differently in the Dark Week, during which Ohio's drivers compensate for the new commute conditions by either driving stupidly slowly, ramming themselves into guard rails, or pretending that the darkness has rendered their car invisible, thus enabling them to weave in and out of traffic at will.

Soon, though, we will adjust, and I'll be able to spend my darkness time in a glut of leisure-time bliss, until phase two of the driving holiday, Ohio Holy Crap It's Snowing and My Car is Made of Spun Sugar Week, begins in earnest in a few weeks' time.

0 pipers piping: