Wednesday, July 23, 2008

SoLong TiVo


In an effort to conserve cash and not become the kinds of homeowners who live in one room of their home, spending their free time sewing sock monkeys and watching cassette tapes of The Mikado on their VCRs by the light of a single, unshaded lamp (as I actually did spend one harrowing month in Wilmington back in 2001), we have had to make some cuts, and sadly, TiVo found itself on the chopping block this week.

This was depressing to Ben and particularly to me, as I had developed an almost gross love for the machine itself, with its happy glowing be-legged television icon and its Wonka-esque booping noises. After a rocky start, in which TiVo became convinced that we were middle-aged black people who enjoyed reruns of Martin and Amen (where are they still showing Amen? Does anyone even remember this show besides me? And TiVo?), we have gotten along famously. By the end, TiVo had introduced us to some of our favorite friends-- Bill Kurtis of American Justice; the guy who does all the voice-overs for the various Battle Against Nature shows on the History Channel ("Chase doesn't know it yet, but this could be the very tree that kills him"); the plucky interventionists of Intervention (my favorite: the one who always tells the drug addicts that they have a family "that loves them like crazy").

But Evil Empire Cable offers a vaguely similar, sort-of adequate faux TiVo (FoVo) for ten dollars less a month, and for some reason, adding it to our list of services somehow lowered our cable bill, not even counting TiVo, by another fourteen, so we had to let it go.

Not, however, without a fight-- Ben did some of the most strenuous flirting I have ever witnessed with the TiVo representative in an attempt to get the far superior Two-Shows-at-Once TiVo receiver out of her-- our logic being that if TiVo could out perform FoVo, we could keep it. The exchange went something like this:

Ben: Hey, baby.

TiVo Rep: I hear you want to cancel your TiVo service? That makes me sad.

Ben: I don't want you to be sad, Sugar Tits. Daddy wants you to be happy. And you know how you could make Daddy happy? With the Two-Shows-at-Once TiVo.

TiVo Rep: Aw, baby, you know I can't just give away the Two-Vo.

Ben: For me you could. Because if you do, we could make sweet love all night long. And I'll even scratch your back after. Awww, yeah.

TiVo Rep: Your offer intrigues me, as I enjoy making sweet love with TiVo fans. Let me see what I can do.

But sadly, in the end she could do nothing for us, even after Ben promised to wash her car in the nude and buy her the rights to the photos of Brad and Angelina's newest babies. (At which point, he called her a Tease-Vo and hung up on her.) (Also, please note: this conversation may not have actually occurred in this way.) So our TiVo box moulders, unplugged and dusty, on a shelf in our basement, while FoVo usurps its glory and spits in our faces by recording the same episode of Intervention four times for no reason. I loved the episode like crazy, but still.

4 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

You married Smoove B?

I kind of remember Amen, although I sometimes mix it up with 227 in my mind.

By the way, thank you for the bubble wrap.

Anonymous said...

Hey! My grandma had this dog that would howl through the opening song of Amen. Always. She would never howl at anything else, and she barely barked.

I guess there was something magic about soulful gospel music that touched something deep in her little doggie brain.

Anyway, we switched to ATT from TimeWarner and so far...it's not been bad. Our new FoVo can record 4 shows at once, I *think*.

But I'm bummed, because I missed my opportunity to hone my flirting technique on the TimeWarner guys.

Boo.

penelope said...

How have I not been aware all this time that that name for a fake TiVo is FoVo??

I'm so sad you've had to give it up! As a subscriber to TWC's FoVo, a vastly inferior product that can only hold 30 hours and was recently "upgraded" with a really crappy new menu, I envy all those who have and love the real TiVo. I love that it knows what you like.

ashley said...

I remember Amen. But I have no idea what the point of the show was except that Sherman Helmsley said "Amen." Like...a lot.