Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The last you'll hear from Kim Shable

With the wedding rapidly approaching, I have decided it best not to try to cram in any more blog posts until after I get back from my honeymoon, at which point I will officially be Kim Oja. Thus, this will be my last blog post ever as Kim Shable.

This concept weirds me out a little-- not that I don't want to change my name, because it's obviously my choice to do so. But it still seems a little scary-- what if Kim Oja is nothing like Kim Shable? What if she enjoys collecting Hummel figurines and surfing the Web for midi files of her favorite Sousa marches? What if she's not funny? What if she's not nice? What if she's lame?

Since Kim Shable and Kim Oja will (soon) be the same person, I realize these fears are ridiculous. But still, giving up the last name that you've had for twenty-eight years, it's fucking weird.

And more than a little sad-- most of my friends know me as, and call me, Kimshable, as if it were all one word. And there are no male Shables left to carry on the name-- my dad and his brother only had one child each, and we were both girls who married. So by taking the Oja name, I officially close the door on the last of the Shables.

Which is a silly thought-- if I had stayed single forever, there would still be no kids to carry on the name. And if I kept my name, I would still want the kids to have Ben's last name. But it's still very sad, knowing my time as a Shable has come to a close.

I hope Kim Oja is cool. I hope she writes a book that makes her famous. I know she'll be married to the man that she loves, and she'll always be happy.

And I've already been practicing her signature, and it looks pretty rad. All in all, an auspicious start to what I know will be an amazing marriage.

8 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you, I sort of dragged my feet a *little* when I got my name changed, for many of the same feelings of just weirdness... After all, Chroninger wasn't just your average Smith or Jones or whatever name. I kind of liked the fact that I *always* had to spell it, pronounce it, and spell it again for most telemarketers and restaurant seating hostesses. And it was just so *long*...

However, I find the new last name suits me just as well, because I still have to spell or pronounce it for a lot of people anyway, despite its profound simplicity.

It will probably take me a better part of a year or two to remember to not call you Kimshable, but luckily KimOja has a nice flow to it as well.

Are you keeping the Shable for your publications and Dispatch columns going forward?

penelope said...

I find it very suspect that Kim Shable does not already search the Web for midi files of her favorite Sousa marches.

Kim Oja is an equally cool name with a great ring to it. Also, you can give one or more of your children the middle name of Shable.

It took me a very long while to get used to the new name, and mine is not nearly so cool. I always said that if I wrote anything, I would use my old name. But I recently wrote it down, and seriously, it didn't feel right. Now THAT'S a weird moment.

Anonymous said...

Kim Oja is a rad name and a perfect one for a famous humor writer. I will miss Shable, of course, but there shall be no law about bringing back the shable on wild future nights when you are bald (inside joke...)

Sorry I´ll miss it, Mrs. Oja. Very sorry.

love

e

Cue said...

Congratulations!!! Here's wishing Mrs. Oja, in all her Sousa-march-seeeking glory, all the best.

daisy said...

Dear Kim Shable soon-to-be Kim Oja,

CONGRATULATIONS. You rock no matter what your last name is, and I bet now that you're part of a dynamic duo, you rock even more.

Have the best wedding ever.

Love,

daisy

ashley said...

Whatev. You'll always be Kimshable to me - my very favorite, very beloved Kimshable. Even when your Kimoja.

12 HOURS TO PICKUP!!!

Anonymous said...

Kimshableoja,

Congratulations!!! And thanks for forcing Mel to come to Cleveland. =) I hope the wedding goes off without a hitch, an extravaganza of the highest level of awesomeness and even more importantly that your marriage is long and loving!

Erica

Anonymous said...

You can name your first child Shable. Shable Oja.

Hope it was a blast, Kim. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Love you,

Nina