Monday, March 26, 2007

Trombone-tastic!

This fancy trigger trombone is not unlike one I used to play, until the one I used to play was hit with a hammer by someone who shall not be named.

My friend Denise was awesome enough to send me the following letter to the editor to the Daily Iowan, in reference to Iowa's search for a state instrument:

Trombone represents Iowa

If Iowa legislators want to declare a state instrument, the trombone should be it. Not only to honor Glenn Miller and Meredith Willson, but because the character of the instrument is in perfect harmony with Iowa and its folks.

Take a look sometime. Trombones are plain and simple, like the Iowa landscape, yet still beautiful. There are no fancy keys, no valves, no reeds, but still the trombone holds a note with all the rest. Its versatility as an instrument in many styles is in tune with Iowa's land and its people. Its ability to make only one note at a time, unlike many of the strings, speaks best of Iowa people - while we may do something by ourselves, we know that a much better song is played when many work together. And just as Iowa works hard to feed the world, the trombone works hard to hold up the band.

The trombone and Iowa: simple yet versatile, underappreciated but important.

Paul Worrell
UI student & trombone fan

First of all, congrats to you, Paul Worrell, for being as trombone-obsessed as I! It is lonely here, Paul. So very, very lonely. But oddly gratifying in its self-righteousness!

Secondly, I am so jealous that I didn't write this myself, only about Ohio! Because of my slight, we'll probably end up with the effing accordion. Or, like, the hammer dulcimer.

4 pipers piping:

Frisby said...

What an odd coincidence. I've long considered the phrase "hammer dulcimer" to be an all-purpose punchline.

I take it you play the trombone?

Frisby said...

Wow. Apparently, my reading comprehension skills are suffering. Never mind. I'm sure there's a brain tumor hard at work killing me.

ashley said...

I love your love for the trombone. The trombone clearly represents Kim Shable. Remember when I tried to play your trombone? Harder than it looks. Being as fabulous as Kim Shable? Harder than it looks.

Anonymous said...

I also play trombone...I also know kim shable and kim shable knows me