Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The day the wedding stood still


I've reached a really strange point in wedding planning where phase one-- finding a site, getting a dress, hiring a DJ and a photographer, getting a minister-- has all been completed, but it seems too early to move on to phase two, which seems to involve about eight million small but infinitely significant details-- yes, we have a caterer, but we never told them what we want to eat. We haven't yet picked a cake for the baker to make. We have no invitations, or save-the-dates, or even a master guest list. Or any music for the actual ceremony (note: if any of you play a musical instrument, or know someone who does, and they want to play at our wedding, we will give them a million, billion dollars.).


Even though I know it's too early to start on most of these things (or, rather, I have been informed of such by my mom and by Ben, who just want me to stop freaking out for five seconds), I am already secretly in a panic over them, a panic which manifests itself in these horrible dreams where I wake up and it's the wedding day, only we only have planned what we actually have planned in real life. Which means we have a reception hall, and photographer and DJ and dress, but no menu, or seating chart, or guests, for that matter, because we never sent out any invitations.


And on top of all that, I feel intense pressure to have a really cool wedding, especially since so many people are (theoretically) coming in from all over the country to attend. But this is a fatal flaw in my character-- while I may be a decent creative writer, I am not even slightly creative when it comes to almost anything else, including decor, costume-making, and yes, wedding planning. So in my mind I picture all my cool friends from all over the world arriving in Aurora, Ohio, and going, "eh."


Actually, let me take that (slightly) back-- I DO have creative ideas, but they cost a lot of money. Like my idea to have a photo booth on site at the reception, which would have offered up all sorts of weird and wacky portraits of my guests that I would cherish for decades to come. Yeah, those booths? Cost, again, a million, billion dollars.


Sadly, there's nothing I can really do to overcome this crippling defect in my character, except to artfully steal from other weddings and hope that no one in attendance at my own remembers them.

3 pipers piping:

Megs said...

Fuck blogger. Fuck it to fucking hell. I just typed you the most lovely comment about how we, too, wanted a photobooth but had to settle for polaroids.

And then I invoked a geometric proof that your wedding would be awesome, and I'm not even trying to do that again.

penelope said...

Dude, it's like, March. You're getting married in October. Take a few months to just relax! You've got so much done, and so much time for the rest! You're doing great!

Also, remember all of your wedding guests (even the ones there in hugely pregnant spirit, ahem) are there to celebrate you and Ben, and to just have fun. They're not there to judge you. No expects you to reinvent the wheel, or the wedding.

It will be beautiful, as will you.

ashley said...

At least you will have a hot bridesmaid. ;)