Monday, August 28, 2006

Worry Wart

It's something that my mother has been saying forever, but really, I'm starting to think that I really do worry too much, and it's starting to get me down. For instance, this weekend, I worried about:

1. My impending haircut

2. The completion of a project that absolutely had to get done and in the mail by a certain time

3. An invitation I had to turn down

4. This vaguely threatening letter I got from my dental insurance people

And now, I have the haircut (and it just keeps getting sassier with each passing day!), finished the project, turned down the invitation only to be met with great understanding, and straightened out the insurance situation. One would think that I would have learned my lesson about worrying, seeing as how every single thing I worried about this weekend turned out just fine, and in some cases, actually great. But instead, I have simply shifted my worry to include:

1. The imminent distruction of my upcoming vacation to Wilmington by that hellhound, Ernesto. Curse you, Ernesto, and all your windy fury!

2. My inability to answer all the requests placed on my blog for the "all request and dedication post" (some famous fictional dinner partners I would enjoy-- the Invisible Man from Ellison's Invisible Man, Mrs. DeWinter from Rebecca-- or, better yet, Rebecca herself. Some weird foods I have eaten since grad school-- salmon, monte cristo sandwiches, mozzarella cheeseburgers)

3. The Department of Education's malfunctioning website, which will not allow me to post my student loan payment online, meaning I have to mail it in, meaning that the check will inevitably be lost, resulting in my first ever late student loan payment, and probably my deportation from the country.

Et cetera.

Honestly, there probably isn't a day that goes by that I'm not worried about something. And it's often something stupid. I once agonized for an entire day under the belief that a girl I knew hated me (which makes no sense, since I didn't do anything to make her hate me, and didn't actually even like her very much, so what did I care if she hated me?), only to be curiously vindicated when she smiled at me in passing, thus assuring me that she didn't hate me at all.

Is this normal? Do the rest of you worry this much? Has my obsessive worrying worried any of you in the past? Please confirm my general normalcy, so I don't have to worry about that, too.

And by the way-- if you want to see something worrisome, trying doing an image search on Google for the word "wart." You'll see why I went with this anxious, slightly menacing looking woman, who, if you look at her in the right light, looks a little like a red-headed Brigitte Nielsen.

4 pipers piping:

penelope said...

Ugh. Yes. I worry all the time. However, I should not be used as a marker of normalcy.

ashley said...

I am worried because I have to pay taxes on my car in NC but I couldn't do that until I got the proper paperwork from GA (which arrived yesterday) and live in fear that the state of North Carolina will send the IRS to repossess my car. Also must apply for tag which requires a NOTARIZED form and a to visit the DMV and where I will have to stand in line for all this which means I have to miss work...I'm sorry. I have to go now. I'm having chest pains.

mendacious said...

i'm a total anxiety,obsessive sufferer- from disasterous moments with old friends, dialogues with people, writing emails, watering plants, weeding, painting, writing-damn expectation and our need to perform EXACTLY according to plan. everything is going to be JUST FINE- and if not, what's the worst that could happen in most cases... i think that would be a better "worst-case scenario" book, to show us how far from eating it and being anti-off-themap-socal castoffs we really are. the fact that i have a credit score of 691 should make me feel better considering i have like a billion in debt right = i don't know. i have to go breathe now. my comment is making me anxious.

Anonymous said...

Aren't you in the business of sending vaguely threatening insurance letters?

Oh, and seeing as how this comments section appears to be populated by a bunch of worriers:

"Hi. My name is Frisby, and I'm a neurotic."