Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Party time! Excellent!

If you could throw any kind of party, what theme would it be? Who would you invite, and what would you wear. Would party-goers play Pin Lucifer's Tail on Mark Harmon?

--Pen
I have never been successful at throwing parties, except for a very brief period in college in which I threw awesome ones, but I think it was because I was the only person I knew who didn't live on campus at the time. Dan and I did throw several parties at our apartment on South Fifth, including one of the Welcome Back parties, but I think it is widely believed that, of the three years my class was in school, it was probably the lamest of the welcome backs (although there was a horse cop involved, later in the evening).

So if I could throw a dream party-- what kind of party would it be?

Dang it, Pen! This is a hard one!

You know what I think I would like? I would like to throw a Post Secret party. In which each guest would be required to write down one of their secrets and mail it to me, with no return address, and I could post it on the walls of my house before they came over. Then, while we were drinking and walking around and talking, we could read each other's secrets.

Taking things a step further, we could all bring out secretly favorite food-- like how everyone says their favorite food is something fancy, like Pad Thai, but really it's macaroni and Cheez Whiz.

And maybe? You could only gain admittance to the party if you had an awesome secret. But then I would have to know who had what secret, and that wouldn't be fair. So instead, you could only come to the party if you complimented my outfit, which would secretly be from Wal-Mart (in keeping with the secretiveness of the party).

Ooh, I so want to throw this party now. Mainly because I have a deep-seeded need to know secrets! And because I like the fact that, now that we're grown up, it is customary to bring a gift for the hostess. Ahem. Just saying.

3 pipers piping:

penelope said...

Bravo! I love it. It sounds like a serious soiree on par with an art gallery opening, yet with a "Skeletons in the Closet" vibe. Paging Kelly, Donna, and Brenda...

Anonymous said...

I know you've told me in the past that you HATE "chick lit"...but I think you've just plopped yourself in a starring role!

mendacious said...

I'm a little freaked out but i think it must end with a blood oath and a desperate chase thru the woods.