Monday, March 06, 2006

I both rule and suck

It seems to me that everyone comes pre-programmed with both things that they are extremely good at and incredibly poor at-- whether we take a million classes or never even read a book on it, there's a few things that all of us will either rule at or suck at. A few of mine, in no particular order:

I rule at:
  • Singing (especially "Me and Bobby McGee" and "One Way or Another")
  • Writing (not counting The World's Worst Novel, which I still think is awesome, by the way. Fistfights. A trip to the Oscars. Like nine deaths. What could BE better?)
  • Crocheting (I don't actually rule at it, but picked it up very quickly)
  • Figuring out a 15% tip
  • Knowing where to put a comma
I suck at:
  • Drawing (which makes me super, super mad. Sometimes, I wonder if maybe over time, I have magically absorbed the ability to draw, and get out some paper and try it. But I haven't, because I just truly suck at it, and always will)
  • Dancing
  • Reading a map
  • Matching my clothes

I invite all of you, now, to tell me the things you were born sucking and ruling at. Who knows? Perhaps we have intermingling skills, and could trade, like a talent swap-meet! Because I'd totally trade my Rain Man-esque tip-calculating ability to be able to properly draw and shade, like, an egg or something.

6 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

I rule at:

choreographing ponies.

(see: http://www.hasbro.com/mylittlepony/pl/page.dance/id.1720060305080150/dn/default.cfm )

I suck at:

finishing a 5-month overdue article about pigeon-racing.

Anonymous said...

Gee Kim I didn't know you sucked at those.
O Geeze my cousin dances like a white guy! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES WHEN SHE CRANKS UP THE JAMZ!
Buut you are an awesome writer! Don't you all agree?
I'm good at:
Riding my horse Gracie!
I suck at:
Nothing because I'm perfect
Haha
Rock On Kim!
Peace

Matt said...

I suck at singing. Truly, if I auditioned for American Idol, they would use me to promo an entire season, like, check out the worst singer ever to grace an American Idol audition. Plus I would sing a Savatage song, which would totally get me kicked out immediately.

I'm great at throwing things. For instance, yesterday Alyssa and I were throwing balls into a Mr. Potato Head bucket of parts (minus the parts) from across the living room, kind of like the Grand Prize Game from Bozo the Clown's show, which used to be on WGN in the mornings. Alyssa only got one in. I got two. How great is that. I also threw a ball at our cat the other day and hit her in the head. Don't worry. The ball was really, really soft. She liked it, even.

penelope said...

I rule at: Bargain grocery shopping. Programming the DVR. Eating cookies with or instead of all meals. Writing poison pen-type letters to evil corporations. Responding to Jeopardy answers with the most random, absurdly wrong questions.

I suck at: staying away from Target. Talking myself down from daily bouts of Road Rage. Patiently waiting for my giant pregnancy butt to diminish in size. Breaking embarassingly bad habits, such as watching One Tree Hill.

Anonymous said...

I rule at: Answering the questions on my Trivia-a-Day calendar. Being late. Puns. Describing every moment of life with "It's like this episode of/scene from (insert movie)". Worrying that we will someday run out of electrical power. Driving and eating at the same time. Purchasing shoes.

I suck at: Being on time. Identifying song lyrics (wasn't that Phil Collins song "Do It the Amish Way"?). Reading maps and finding my way anywhere. Buying usuable groceries on a regular basis. Confrontation of any sort. Singing (although my passionate effort and blind belief that at times, maybe I can sing, may lift me momentarily out of the realm of suckage...)

T. said...

I rule at making sauce and making love. hehehehe ew. i just like the way those two sound back to back.

I suck at skiing and painting.