Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm going novelist on your asses


This morning, Jeremy sent me a cryptic and vaguely ominous-seeming e-mail that contained nothing but the link to NaNoWriMo, the write-a-novel-in-a-month website that I always mean to join, but never do, because I'm lazy and possibly, at this point, no longer talented, and would prefer it if I didn't have to do anything to draw attention to that very real possibility.

I don't know what it was, but something in that e-mail-- just the sight of the link in the body, or possibly the fact that Jeremy has Vulcan mind control skills that can manifest themselves in the form of a simple weblink-- made me say, you know what? It's time. I'm going for it.

I'm going to write an effing novel.

Or I'm going to try to, anyway. I don't know what it's going to be about (although please note: I know there's going to be a scene in which the main character hits and kills a deer with her car, so if any of you have first-hand knowledge about this, I would really appreciate some details, as I've never hit anything larger than a cat, over which I cried for days and days, but which did minimal damage to my car and did not prevent me from making it to the convenience store where I had been headed to buy a candy bar), and I don't know how far I'll make it, but I figure if I make it to day three, and write 20 pages, that's 20 more pages than I've written in the last four years.

Is there anyone out there that wants to do this with me, or that's already planning on doing it? If so, please let me know, so we can be writing buddies and I can write to you to complain about how I'd really rather be playing Guitar Hero and not doing anything with the seven years of education I spent learning how to write a novel in the first place.

Now of course, everyone must suffer for their art, and in this case you're going to have to suffer, too, because my blog postery will likely diminish as I get more involved in this (assuming, that is, that I make it past day three, which I judge to be the biggest stumbling block of all, since by day three I'm really going to need a plot, and I don't really have one of those in mind just yet). But in the meantime, you can check on me here, and I can always use some encouragement, so feel free to drop me a line reinforcing your belief in my awesomeness.

And if I do puss out and don't finish, I'll let you know-- I'm not going to be one of those people who just poops out on something and never acknowledges it again (see: Swing State-- thanks for saving my ass there, Matt!). But hopefully I'll be able to pull it off-- and who knows, maybe I'll get back some of my writing mojo and get back in the groove for good. And if nothing else, all this typing will really limber up my fingers for Guitar Hero solos on hard.

1 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

I have officially wet myself with glee.