Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'm all that.


Today I found out that someone hates me.

This, in and of itself, does not really phase me; I have been the object of hatred from time to time, mainly because of my awesome good looks and obvious modesty. The actual problem I had was with the reason given for said hatred: apparently, I believe myself to be "all that."

This struck me as bizarre on many levels-- mainly, I was unaware that people were still considering themselves "all that," since that particular statement has gone the way of "talk to the hand" and my least favorite, "don't go there, girlfriend." (On a side note, please don't ever refer to me as "girlfriend;" I can be considered a girlfriend, as in "My girlfriend Kim thinks she's all that," but I do not accept being called "girlfriend" without a proper article attached. Perhaps this is one of the symptoms of considering oneself "all that.")

Secondly, as a person who pretty much made a career out of explaining my lameness and serious personality flaws to anyone who would listen, I resent being considered one who thinks of themselves as "all that." I'm kind of the opposite of all that-- I'm like the least threatening person on the face of the planet. I posed with a dead stuffed lion in my senior pictures! That is the exact antithesis of "all that"!

So please, if you must hate me (which you really shouldn't, because I'm totally really nice!), please don't do it because you think I think I'm "all that." If anything, hate me for my wicked Guitar Hero skills. Those really are all that.

5 pipers piping:

Frisby said...

Scientists have long known of the binary nature of Thatness. Case in point: you assert you aren't all that, and one immediately intuits that you'll be having none of that.

QED

hat said...

I'm curious about HOW you discovered that this person hates you. Did you poll? Did you do some sleuthing? Did it include eavesdropping?

I'd also like to poll how many people hate nothing but HAT's.

There are some silly folks out there, huh?

hat said...

Oh, what happened to the super cool blog template? Not that this one isn't also cool, but... seeing as how you were so pleased about the other template...?

Cue said...

I would like to know when it became a BAD thing to think well of one's self. You know? I mean, the fact that being "all that" is considered a derogatory in general is just a mind fuck for me. I say, BE all that! Embrace it! Throw in a bag of chips, you know what I'm saying?

Regardless of how wonderful we are, some people just aren't going to like us. At this point, I figure those who don't like me can (in the words of Stan Colbert) go screw, and I'll focus on those who do want to stick around. It's liberating. :)

ashley said...

Trust me, you are all that. These are clearly people who just don't like life with all that. Like...people who don't like peanut butter and chocolate.