Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Remembrances of Things Past

I just thought I'd update you on Situation: Nothing-- the on-going travails of my suddenly totally uninteresting life. While I was once the kind of person who could constantly enthrall you with my tales of The Time the Nurse Told Me That I Should Be in an Internment Camp Because of my Ethnicity, or The Time I Shared a Cigarette With a Homeless Guy Who Was Carrying a Stolen Ladder, I am now the kind of person whose everyday routine is pretty much the same, and sans racist nurses and ladder-toting homeless guys.

This is vexing to me, because I have always prided myself as the kind of person to whom interesting things often happened. This may be because I am cosmically preordained to have such interactions, or simply because I am too naive to avoid situations in which I may be forced into contact with, say, a speed-popping neighbor that tricked me into driving him to an acquaintance's house in order to beat the crap out of him (I thought we were just going to cash his tax refund!).

But as of late, the only interesting character with whom I have come into contact is Mark, a nice-enough guy with a three-legged dog that often accompanies me on walks with Che. I really don't know anything about him except that he seems nice, and his dog has three legs. I like to think that he's really some kind of drug kingpin, and that Pitch, the three-legged dog, turns into a battle-armored warrior dog at night. But really, I imagine Mark and Pitch just spend their evenings watching reruns of Evening Shade.

I guess the sad truth is that as you get older, you're less likely to run into zany situations. A stolen ladder becomes a three-legged dog. A racially insensitive, chain-smoking nurse becomes a guy that's maybe just a bit too into said three-legged dog. And an inadvertent evening spent as an accessory to a petty crime becomes an evening spent with Burt Reynolds in the shade.

3 pipers piping:

penelope said...

I'm a little depressed now.

Kim said...

That's why we need to go have a crazy adventure. We need a trip to Baltimore, a Ben Folds CD, and nowhere to stay. Anyone else in?

Frisby said...

Okay, first: I wasn't aware that you even had an ethnicity. So, I guess I learned something new today.

Second: I don't know if this qualifies as good news or bad, but I think your lack of WTF moments and colorful characters may be partially self-imposed. I offer as my evidence one Mark Plaid, aged thirty-seven.

In the past few years, Mark has been perpetually surrounded by some the weirdest people I've ever met:

An obsessive-compulsive Pakistani who drinks tea while sitting on the toilet, and who teaches us that the phrase "forty-year-old virgin" should make us feel vaguely creeped out, not amused.

An anarchist on welfare who stores a five-gallon bucket of dirt in his bedroom.

A compulsive liar who asserts he was trained as an assassin as a child, and treats his color-blindness as if it were a superpower.

Another compulsive liar who claims that he's enrolled in a secret degree program at The University of Toledo, and is under government contract to build the first real warp drive.

Some guy we keep running into at Kroger who told us he was sexually abused as a child by a man who thought he was assaulting one of The Beatles (Lennon, I think).

A guy who always turned your name into a stilted compliment ("Kind, Intelligent, Marvelous, Opulent, Jubilant, Attractive").

These are just off the top of my head. There are others.

I think your "problem" is your social circle. Do the people you hang with play golf and fret about their mortgages? If you surround yourself with normal people, it stands to reason your life becomes more normal.

I'm not sure what remedy to suggest. Start taking the bus more?