Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Cute or horrible? You decide!

I don't mean to alarm you, but I just had a horrible crime committed against me, out in full view of many onlookers, who stood by and did nothing, some--yes, some-- even standing by with a bemused look of pity on their faces.

That's right. I got a shitty haircut.

And not just any shitty haircut-- I got The Dreaded Reverse Mullet. Something that, about once every five years, some horrible, freak-headed maven perpetrates against me, assuring me that this time it will be different. This one totally tricked me by pointing out another girl in the salon, with curly hair like mine, and saying "See how nice Denise's hair is? I'll give you the same cut as Denise."

But she didn't give me the same cut as Denise. She gave me Satan's Cut-- about an inch long in the back, five inches long in the front, with big poufy spaniel-ear wings.

Now, to be fair, I have come home and washed it, and it looks yards better than it did in the salon, when she proceeded to blow dry it (this may not sound like much of an assault to those of you with straight hair, but my curly-headed brethren will gasp at the horror of being blown dry without a diffuser), giving me roughly the same hairdo that Vanessa sported in the middle years of The Cosby Show. The awkward middle years.

So now I can't decide if it looks funky cute or funky horrible. I am posting a picture here for your input, although I must warn you that the picture is, I think, an unfair representation of the cut as a whole, in that it makes it look shiny and defined, something that will fade after about twenty minutes of being exposed to such rough elements as direct light, oxygen and the gentle breeze of my heating system.

Also be aware, before you accuse me of overreacting, that it is dramatically, and inexplicably, shorter in the back. I tried to get a picture of that, but I'm home alone, and my arms just don't bend that way.

Okay, the more I look at it, it might be funky cute, rather than funky horrible. But my neck is cold, and I'm feeling sort of exposed, like I put my slip on backwards.

5 pipers piping:

hat said...

From this angle, it looks funky cute. But, I know how it feels when the front looks OK but the back feels like you're naked (akin to wearing a hospital gown and your backside is exposed for the whole world to see?)...

The color looks great, though! Has it always been that rich brown? I also got my hair cut today! But b/c I can't reproduce what Angel did to my hair with his magic hands, I can't post a pic.

I love the cut!

Megs said...

So, I like it. However, I've been wearing my hair shorter in the back than in the front all my life. In fact, I freak out and return to the salon if it is not shorter in the back than in the front. So maybe you should not listen to my opinion, as I am a reverse mullet loving fool. :)

Anonymous said...

To be perfectly honest, I need a back view. IMMEDIATELY. But from that angle, I love it. Fo' real. It's funky-sexy-hot.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I can't answer honestly without a back view. Can't you do it with a mirror or something? Or, aren't you married? This is precisely the kind of thing husbands are good for.

penelope said...

Yes, it is definitely funky-cute from my chair here. Perhaps it's not weather-appropriate for winter on Ohio, but I think you're rocking that bitch!

But I agree: hair dryer with no diffuser? WTF are these hair dressers thinking??