Monday, November 19, 2007

Tuffy love


I am not generally the kind of person who mopes about being "old"-- in fact, I find this behavior irksome in anyone under the age of 67, which is the age I have officially deemed as being the start of actual oldness. But I went to visit my college campus yesterday with my friends Denise and Melinda, and if anything can make you feel old, it's that.

Because it really still feels like I just left college. I still know all the words to the fight song and the alma mater and everything (which I realize is actually more of an old person thing to do, considering a young, cooler person than myself would have forgotten the words to those songs immediately, or, more likely, would never have learned them in the first place). I even remember the combination to my mailbox (so watch your back, box 678).

But I found myself, while checking out the campus, noting with disapproval all the changes that had been made. How dare they build a new gym? The old gym was perfectly fine, except for that one part over the pool that was caving in a little. And as Melinda pointed out, the new education building looks a little Hogwarts-y, which again, I do not condone.

At least my old building, the Arts and Humanities building, remains blockily stolid and antiseptic (the perfect setting for all creative writing workshops!). Of course, I didn't go inside, because my student ID is long gone, and something tells me they might not honor one that was issued in the previous millennium, so the whole building might be reconfigured in there, with rocket jet packs on the chairs and walls made of spun sugar candy.
All in all, even with the weird unsettled feeling of maybe not quite belonging as much as I once did, it was a highly satisfactory trip to good old Ashland University (up on the hill above the town/seen from miles around). And whenever I start to feel bad about my college days receding in the mirror behind me, I can at least console myself with the fact that I am way hotter now.

Dig my tiara and creepy Geisha-esque too-light foundation, yall!

4 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

I find it odd that you have friends named Denise AND Melinda. And you blogged about them.

Because my name is Denise, and my BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD is named Melinda.

Interesting!

Let your hotness shoot over my way, because I got a mom haircut and I'm so pissed! I said MORE rock n roll, and LESS soccer mom, DAMMIT.

Anonymous said...

No comments about how young (or inappropriately attractive) the kids look?

Your "previous millennium" comment reminds me: I came up with a new phrase for we burgeoning fogeys to use. "Back when years began with a one..." You should get in on the ground floor with this one.

hat said...

Kudos to you for willingly posting the tiara photo! (lovely pic tho, friend)

Anonymous said...

You were pretty hot in a tiara. And it's all down hill from here.