Tuesday, March 13, 2007

"Anything" Was Mine First

I would just like to share my abject horror at the fact that the new
Gap ads feature the song "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" from Annie Get Your Gun, as sung by Ethel Merman. Not because I dislike this song-- actually, I like it very much-- but because up until now, I believed myself to be the only person on earth who knew this song existed, other than the rest of the cast of the Aurora High School 1994 production of the aforementioned play. And this somehow made me cool. I'm not sure how yet, I haven't worked that part out. But my knowledge of that song made me cool.

And now everyone knows it. And I've heard like seven people humming it. And I guarantee everyone's going to download it, and soon the whole country will know it, and will have developed Ethel Merman impressions that rival my own, which anyone major dude will tell you is very good.

Come on, Gap people! That was my one theater thing that I had going for me. Everyone knows "Music of the Night," or even "No Business Like Show Business," which, as you may or may not know, was also in Annie Get Your Gun. But this was my one big song. I used to sing it while waiting in line for stuff, which really used to annoy people. I was annoying like that. But still, I bet they couldn't help but marvel at my obscure musical theater knowledge.

9 pipers piping:

Anonymous said...

That has been used in many commercials before gap. I forget what other ones they were, but Gap is just a follower!

ashley said...

I know this song because my high school did AGYG too. And I had a brief crush on the lead who played Frank. (Frank? Is that right?) Anyway, I ended up going out on a date with him and we went bowling and I almost ran in the house to avoid The Awkward Moment at the end of the night. I could get out of a second date better than him.

Anonymous said...

Gatorade's Mia Hamm versus Michael Jordan, for one. Yet another example of the general lack of creativity in advertising.

Marianne said...

Perhaps you were just too cool to have seen these other ads back in your hip actress days.

Frisby said...

At least you can one of those people who was into it back before it was cool. It's hard to pull that off without being pretentious, though. So, be careful.

penelope said...

Um, but I kind of love the commercial though? I thought it was cute? Even though those pants would never fit me.

Maybe it's one of those songs that the advertisers don't have to pay anyone royalties to use... hence the lack of creativity.

Unknown said...

I don't remember my old blogger info but this is Bambi Weavil, your old roomie - how are you?! I just found your blog b/c of the UNCW CW Alumni stuff - totally cool, I miss you and your sense of humor.

I know you're a busy lady but drop me a line, I want to hear about the wonderful engagement!

XO,
Bam
artsygoddess@gmail.com
www.artsy-goddess.com


PS--Well, damn, apprantly my computer remembers my blogger info! LOL

hat said...

I love that song, too, and it's kind of scary that someone like me even knows that song. But, I do have some objections to the Gap commercial -- it raises serious questions for which I have no answers.

Anonymous said...

My question with the gap commercial is how does she get those pants off of him with out a hitch... I've been trying to get pants off guys, and nothing works!