Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Blizzard of Aught Seven


Once, 29 years ago, Cleveland was hit with a blizzard, commonly known as The Blizzard of '78, that people still talk about to this day. I, being young and vibrant, was not alive then, but have heard much of its fury and anguish.

But let me just say, that blizzard was probably pansy-esque compared to this.

After finally being released from work today at 4:30, it took me three hours to complete the normally 30-minute drive home, including an unscheduled and most unwelcome stop at a BP to chisel free my windshield wipers from their awkwardly-frozen ice prison, which caused them to seize up and completely stop functioning about ten miles from home. Finally, after prizing them free ("THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, MOTHER FUCKER!" was, I believe, the exact phrase I used once they finally began moving again-- Ashley can corroborate this, as she was on the phone with me at the time-- on my hands free, of course, as I do not have a death wish), Ben came and rescued me, and I followed him the rest of the way home.

I would like to thank the manufacturers of my intensely oversophisticated ice scraper and the makers of Orbit Mint Mojito gum (it really tastes like an alcoholic beverage!) for helping me survive this ordeal.

In the meantime, I thought it would be prudent to announce, for those of you who don't know, that I WILL BE IN WILMINGTON THIS WEEKEND, and expect to see all my Wilmingtonian friends while I'm there. Please tell me the temperature is about 18 degrees, and I will be able to get the car wash I so desperately, desperately need.

5 pipers piping:

Hip Girl said...

I can't believe they kept you guys at work until 4:30 - most of downtown let out at 3pm and created a gridlock!
This is why we should watch LOCAL news at work!hi

ashley said...

I was forced to cry forlornly for ten minutes, envisioning you dead in a snow embankment on the side of the Cleveland freeway after your windshield wipers stopped working. And as I pointed out yesterday, you would think that the insurance company you work for would be aware of how to ASSESS RISK for its employees. Geez.

Kim said...

Just as a disclaimer, please note that I think the company I work for is great, and don't want to get fired.

You know, just to cover my butt!

Still, though, I'm a little worried about the drive to work today... I should be fine, really.

Anonymous said...

Downtown near 55th street was a disaster... Enjoy your snow day...

mendacious said...

i LOVE that mint mojito gum. that faint hint of lime... carbonation... something- divine!

ps. i have always dreamed of snowdays... i never get them. sniff.