Friday, June 02, 2006

I quit.


Or am in the process of quitting, anyway.

I know this comes as a surprise to some of you-- we didn't warn most people, and those people we did tell were given a different quit date. But based on some outside factors-- namely, the fact that I can't smoke after the extraction of that freaky wisdom tooth-- we pushed our quit date up to yesterday, meaning we have officially been smoke-free for thirty-eight hours.

So far, so good-- there was a brief period of intense hatred toward all humanity around three p.m. yesterday, when I would have gladly slain every koala in the forest for a cigarette. But luckily for me, and for the koala population at large, it passed, leaving me cranky but relatively sedate.

Ben's been handling it well, too-- much better than he thought he would. He started smoking a long time before I did, so it's even harder for him, but we figured we should do it sooner rather than later. We haven't even come to blows yet, either, which I suspect is rare when a couple quits smoking at the same time. But this could be because we spent most of the evening apart yesterday, with him playing a computer game and me using the computer to come up with anagrams for all my friends' names (inspired by my friends over at Turkey Hat Sweet). The best one I came up with: Alamo Tits. Also, Ben's name is an anagram for MBA Ninja Joe, which would be a sweet addition to the GI Joe line, in my opinion.

We're really hoping this works, so we can be smoke-free and happy (although I will never forget how romantic it was the day we found out we both smoked the same brand). Ex-smokers out there, any advice?

4 pipers piping:

Alan said...

Good for you Kim.

I guess my running after you on the quad, crushing your pack, and throwing it away didn't scare you enough. I'll have to come up with a much better way next time.

Join us in Columbus, where ever where its smoke free. You can go to clubs and provided you don't spill anything on you, can wear the same clothes the next day and not smell like a dirty ashtray.

HOORAY COLUMBUS! The greatest City in Ohio...

Anonymous said...

Hey cool! Good on you!

Oddly coincidental to this, I just quit caffeine. I know, I know; it's not the same, but we can both be miserable online.

mendacious said...

i thought you were quitting your job and i got all excited!- but i suppose quitting smoking is just as good. but since i'm a regular second-hand smoker- i can only say-don't feed the monster. bcs that's what it is. and of course that is what it wants!

daisy said...

This is going to make me sound totally shallow. Wait. You know me. I don't even have to preface shit with that. Because you already know how shallow I am! Thank God.

So here's how I quit smoking.

I told myself I wasn't a smoker. That I didn't want to be viewed as a smoker. Because people JUDGE smokers. And more than that... Smoking gives you these fucked up smoker wrinkles all over your face and those are totally heinous.

I am not kidding. That is totally how I quit. Cold turkey.

I had one relapse a year ago - for a month - but I don't think I will ever smoke again.

In all honesty... I had a dream last night that this man wanted to smoke in a waiting room and he was trying to defend himself and I turned to him and said, "WHY SHOULD I GET WEIRD FACE WRINKLES JUST BECAUSE YOU SMOKE?!" and then realized that people might not think that was a good reason and so I added, "OH. AND CANCER!!!!!"

That's a true story.

This is the longest comment ever.

You will TOTALLY get through this. And you'll be SOOOOO happy when you're 40 and your lipstick doesn't run into your chin. I promise.

YAY! Congrats! Good luck.